Sunday, December 1, 2013

Nightmare on Elm Street 6: Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)


Check out the all new Freddy's Dead page on Set-Jetter.com!



The promos continually touted they "saved the best for last" which was a total lie.  I'm not sure who is to blame for the fiasco, but I distinctly remember sitting in the theatre during the credits saddened at how far the franchise had fallen....


In researching locations for other movies, I came across this stretch of road which I believe is used for the opening sequence.   I am not 100% sure, but it looks very similar....






Screenshots...




Comparison shots....


Up further on the same road, Maggie and John make their way around this bend on the way to Springwood....




Screenshots




Comparison shots....




Back on the same road in a different area appears to be used for another driving scene.  Again, not 100% sure, but many similar trees and terrain...





Screenshots....











According to IMDB, this park is used for the town fair carnival.   I don't quite see it, but it's possible and the  retaining wall toward the back does match up in some areas....








 Screenshots...




The clocktower is located on the USC campus....


Screenshot...
Comparison shot...


The kids drive through this intersection many times....




Screenshots....




Comparison shot....


The town the kids keep driving through is actually Universal Studios.  This particular area was Colonial Street and eventually became part of Wisteria Lane from Desperate Housewives.   I couldnonly find my one picture of the church, but I did have video from my 2001 visit, hence the  crappy VHS screencaps....













Screenshots....






Comparison shots....


The house the kids crash in has changed many times, and eventually became Bree Van de Kamp's home.  I took this picture from thestudiotour.com to show what the house looked like at one point....

 It's latest incarnation....
Screenshots...


Comparison shot...

Maybe they used the Paramount water-tower, anyone know more about this?  UPDATE: A fellow location fan confirmed the water tower in Artesia was used!




Screenshots below....

Comparison shot....

Unfortunately, the Krueger house has since been torn down, but here is what the house looked like at the time.   These shots were taken from a realty page...





Screenshots....







Comparison shots...



In one dream, John Doe wakes up in a regular neighborhood.   Here are the houses he sees across the street in this Los Angeles neighborhood...






Screenshots...



Comparison shots...



UPDATE September 2014:  I was finally able to track down the "youth shelter" from the film!





Screenshots...







It looks like the guard shack was relocated to a different part of the lot....


Screenshots....




Comparison shots....













12 comments:

  1. I think they used the Warner Brothers water tower, not the Paramount one. It's much closer to the studio lots used for Freddy's Dead, plus the franchise is owned by New Line / Warner. I think the specific water tower might even be briefly mentioned in the Freddy's Dead segment of Never Sleep Again, but I'd have to rewatch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Warner Bros. tower has an "X" shaped railing, where the Paramount has the "V" shaped railing surrounding the tower.

      Delete
  2. Where was the power plant scene shot at for Freddys dead?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so interesting to read! I've loved this movie for years and didn't know much about the locations used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The water tower that was used in the film was the Artesia water tower and the house located at 18406 Clarkdale Ave was used because it had the best view of the water tower from the backyard that was my girlfriend and the time sisters house and I got to see the filming of it first hand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a mistake on the address above the actual address is 18408 Clarkdale Ave, Artesia, CA

      Delete
    2. I have some pics from 18408 Clarkdale Ave, Artesia, CA while filming was taking place

      Delete
    3. Sure, send them to rmpatterson70@gmail.com and I'll include them on my new page: http://www.set-jetter.com/ontheset/freddysdead

      Delete
  5. Can I have the address of Clock tower? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the Hoose Library of Philosophy on USC, 3709 Trousdale Pkwy.

      Delete
  6. Any idea where the school they used is located?...unfortunately it was only used in that one clip? It looks exactly like my elementary school I attended. Check out Spaulding Elementary school in Townsend Mass you'll see the unbelievable likeness. Can you confirm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't figured that out yet, but looks like it may just be stock footage. I will look into your tip, thanks!

      Delete